Americans now more than any time over the past ten years believe that gun laws should be less strict, or not be changed.
According to a Gallup survey released October 9th, 43% of Americans believe gun laws should remain as they are currently, while 12% believe they should be lessened, for a total of 55%. Meanwhile, 44% believe America needs more restrictions placed on firearms.
These figures present a drastic shift in beliefs even from one year ago, when 49% believed gun laws needed to be more strict, while 41% advocated less strict laws and 8% believed they were just fine. Even more intriguing are the differences between the 2009 numbers and the results from ten years ago, when 66% believed gun laws were not strict enough, while a combined 33% were fine with the laws or believed they could be lessened.
Not completely surprising were the breakdown of the numbers by demographic. Liberal Democrats overwhelmingly favor more strict laws, although surprisingly 28% of those who declared themselves "Republican" favored tighter controls on guns, with a combined 62% of independents stating less or constant laws were sufficient.
For more information, including further breakdowns by demographic, Gallup has provided the following video: