Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Open Letter to The NBA


This is a copy of a letter I sent to The NBA tonight, regarding the "Los Suns" jerseys and the statements made by Suns players and management. I wrote this letter while the pre-game show was airing on TNT, and was absolutely appalled by their uneducated rhetoric.

While I understand that team owners, management, and players may have opinions, it might be a prudent business decision for the NBA and its teams to distance themselves from politically sensitive issues.

In particular I am writing about The Phoenix Suns recent decision to wear their "Los Suns" jerseys. If done only in honor of 'Cinco de Mayo' this would be fine, but all levels of the team from owner Robert Sarver to players on the court have been outspoken in interviews.

The NBA might be well served to remember that polling shows around seventy percent of Arizonans, as well as more than fifty percent of Americans nationwide, support Arizona S.B. 1070.

Furthermore, when in an interview Grant Hill says, "There's certain things I don't like about it, the little I know of it," the truth is revealed to be that these players are not politicians and in all likelihood have not read the bill, therefore do not know or understand that of which they speak.

Please remember it was NBA superstar Michael Jordan who said, "Republicans buy shoes too." He had the intelligence and insight to understand that if he wished for his business to succeed and his income to grow, perhaps he should keep his politics to himself.

One final note - I just watched the pre-game on TNT, and I would like to tell you that everyone on that staff has little to no understanding of the facts of the law. They are guilty of spreading misinformation, which is worse than not saying anything at all.

Thank you for your time and attention to this letter.

Sincerely,

Soloman
Phoenix, AZ


The letter was inspired by the discussion going on at Z's blog. She may be a Lakers fan, but she's alright by me...

If any of you would like to contact the NBA, feel free to do so here.

15 comments:

The Rattler - III said...

Ditto. Stay strong. Viva Arizona!

Just a conservative girl said...

I am not a San Antonio fan, but now I want them to win.

I really was rooting for the Suns to win this series, but no more.

Although, I am one who tends to like big named athletes to stand by convictions instead of saying writing me the check I don't care where it comes from.

Hill said it all, he doesn't know much about it. How can you be against something if you don't know about it?

Soloman said...

Thanks, Rattler.

Soloman said...

JACG -

A little FYI for you - The Spurs wanted to wear their "Los Spurs" jerseys tonight too, but by the time they made the request to the NBA, it was too late to get them shipped in.

That in mind... of course I'm going to stick with the Suns, because they're my home team... and if you want to cheer for the Suns, you can hold that fact against them.

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

I think you're WAY TOO soft on them. But that's me ... They are called the Arizona Suns right?

Soloman said...

Odie -

Phoenix Suns... but point taken, they're not the Acapulco Suns or the Mexico City Suns...

Z said...

"..she may be a Lakers fan, but.." That CRACKED me up! And I needed a laugh, thanks!
Wonderful letter....GOOD JOB.

Soloman said...

Z -

I know being a Lakers fan is not something I should hold against you. I almost feel sorry for you, really... heh!

Glad you got a good laugh!

Opus #6 said...

Sol, glad to see you took the time to write this letter. Most people don't and the management knows it. Your letter represents LOTS of people who didn't bother to write.

Anonymous said...

Los Soles not Los Suns...Arggghhh!

Soloman said...

Opus -

I know it... that's why I made the effort. That's what we do, right? We make the effort.

Soloman said...

David - too funny!

I have to admit, stupid jerseys aside - I'm glad they won tonight. In this city for the moment, beating the Spurs is the most important thing in the world.

The Conservative Lady said...

Sol:
Your letter was eloquent and to the point. Excellent and congrats on taking the initiative and the time to tell them what you think.
This is another example of "shut up and sing"..."shut up and play ball".

Unknown said...

Well done, it was respectful and logical.

Soloman said...

TCL and Trestin -

Thanks... and to your point, TCL -

Fa la la la la!!!!

LOL!!